Tsitsikamma Ultra Trail Run 2020
The Tsitsikamma Ultra Trail Run is a 60 km, linear trail, that begins under “The Big Tree” near Storms River and ends at Natures Valley. The run will follow the Tsitsikamma Hiking Trail in a reverse direction from Storms River to Natures Valley. The route will be marked.
Runners will need to be self sufficient on the route with nourishment and first aid. There will be marshals at all 4 huts where runners can wait for evacuation after the last runners have passed unless it is a medical emergency.
The route crosses numerous pure mountain streams so water should not be problem.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TRAIL IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC unless booked on the hiking trail. No route scouting or pre-running is allowed. Any runners found on the trail illegally (by the landowners MTO Group or the organisers) will be banned from all future events.
- Date : Saturday 2 May 2020
- Registration & kit check: 1 May 2020 16h30-18h00 at the finish in Natures Valley
- Briefing: 1 May 2020 – 18h00 at Natures Valley
- Shuttle: Departs Natures Valley: 04h45 arrive 05h15
- Start: 06h00 am on 2 May 2020
- Prize giving dinner: 2 May 2020 – 19h00 at Natures Valley
- Distance: 60km
- Entry fee: R1,900 per person
- Limit: 100 runners
- Entries open online: 1 January 2020 (entrytickets.net – ENTER NOW)
- Entries Close : Friday 17 April 2020
- Race Venue: at Natures Valley
- Start: Big Tree Storms River (next to the N2)
- Finish: Natures Valley
- Rules: Make sure you read the race rules for the tsitsikamma ultra trail run here
Natures Valley is where it’s happening – registration, briefing, shuttle, finish, prize giving etc.so try and stay somewhere nearby like:
- San Parks De Vasselot Rest Camp sanparks.org
- Rent a cottage in Natures through Meyer at naturesvalleyproperties.co.za or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or stay in Storms River Village – close to the start at the Woods Guest House. Email email@example.com
- Back Packers – Rocky Road Backpackers
Competitors may book a shuttle from the Natures Valley to the start.
Please note that the trail is closed to the public unless booked on the hiking trail. No route scouting or pre-running is allowed. Any runners found on the trail illegally (by the landowners MTO Group or the organisers) will be banned for all future events.
Entry fee includes
- Permits and special permission to run this trail
- Paramedic support with 4×4 vehicles (excludes helicopter evacuation, or any hospitalization transport, which will be at the athlete’s cost)
- Saturday night prize giving dinner
- Meal at finish
- Finisher’s memento
Entry fee does not include
- Race Garment (available for purchase with your entry)
- Drinks at dinners
- Personal race nutrition
- Extra meals for friends and family must be booked on line
Refunds: 90% refund possible up until 28 February 2020. 50% refund up to 31 March 2020. No refund after 4 April 2020. As you know most of the costs of running such an event are incurred long before you have entered.
Substitutions are possible up to 12h00 Friday 24 April 2020 (7 days before the event) with no admin fee. We will not however be able to replace the garment if the sizes are not a match for the new runner. Please contact the organisers if you wish to do a substitution, not the on-line entry service provider.
Runners must be self-sufficient for the day. There is no seconding allowed. There will be a cut off along the way. This will be enforced if we feel that the competitors’ safety or health will be compromised by continuing. We have an experienced sweep team and they will have the final say whether they feel that they can get the runners safely to the finish. This cut off is based on the athlete not making the whole route in 14 hours.
We expect times to range between 6 and 14 hours. There will be marshals at all 4 huts on the route.
There will be emergency services on standby but participants must under normal circumstances, be fit, and confident that they are able to complete the event safely without outside assistance. Should the race medical team declare any participant unfit to continue, he or she will be forced to withdraw from the event.
EACH PARTICIPANT MUST TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY.
Compulsory Running Equipment
- Water containers min 1.5 litres
- Waterproof rain jacket
- Base layer
- Buff or head gear
- Space blanket
- Emergency food (at least 2 bars or gels or one of each) extra not part of planned race nutrition
- Cell phone – emergency numbers will be supplied at race briefing
- Kit will be checked at registration
- Basic first Aid- (minimum is strapping, personal medication, rehydrate )
MISSING COMPULSORY EQUIPMENT MEANS NO RUN
- Sunglasses, Sun block, Camera, GPS
Enter from 01 Jan 2020 at entrytickets.net – ENTER NOW
For all enquiries please contact James Stewart 082 925 7885 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Where can I stay during the event?
Natures Valley is where it’s happening – registration, briefing, shuttle, finish, prize giving etc.so try and stay somewhere nearby like.
- Where can I get a massage during the event?
Contact Jo-Anne van Vuuren of Aromaflex on 082 820 9960
- How will the route be marked?
The route will be marked along the way, but the GPS track will also be made available in due course for those who wish to download it.